You may think of Tunisia as a mixture of French and Arabic Muslim culture in the desert, and you’d be right, but did you know there is a thriving street art scene in coastal Djerba or that some of the most famous scenes in Star Wars were filmed here? What if I told you that you could visit the ruins of Mos Espa?
Tunisia is in North Africa and enjoys the warm waters of the Mediterranean along it’s coastline. Djerba is an up and coming travel destination and is currently enjoying some very beautiful street art. Even Faith47 who I’ve featured before did a beautiful piece there.
I absolutely love how the art blends with the crumbling desert buildings.
And when you’ve had your fill of street art in the desert, you can head out further afield to check out a variety of movie sets and locations used in the Star Wars films including Ben’s Hermitage and Toshi Station in Djerba, Mos Espa in Tozeur and stay in the Lars home interior in Matmata!
Not only can you indulge yourself on street art and Star Wars sets, there are also plenty markets, French style places to eat as well as delicious Arabic food, sandy beaches with turquoise ocean to enjoy, shisha’s to smoke and stunning hotels to escape inside from the sun.
A few essentials you need to know when visiting Tunisia
- Buy P20 sunscreen before you go, it is cheaper and easier to get it in your own country and P20 lasts all day with a high factor
- Wear a hat
- Wear loose fitting cotton clothing and if you’re a lady, carry a couple shawls with you to cover your head and knees in certain places to honour the country’s Islamic customs
- Learn to say “hello”, “please”, “thank you” and “god bless you” in the local language, you will gain much respect when you attempt to speak the local language, this has worked for me in many countries
- Carry a cross body bag you can keep to the front of you and rest your hand on when in markets and busy public places, I take this precaution in any country so don’t think this is exclusive to Tunisia
- Pick up some hand painted tiles, pottery and textiles while you’re there
- Always carry bottled water
- Smile, be respectful, take only photos, leave only footprints
If you decide that a trip to Tunisia is the holiday for you, you can check the Firstchoice.co.uk website to find many deals on flights and accommodations.
Have you been to Tunisia? Or visited any movie sets around the world?
This post in collaboration with First Choice.